Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 11

I am taking a Problem Solving math class this semester. The questions are pretty tough sometimes so I end up asking other people to solve the problem. Today, I asked Andy to solve the problem that was making my brain hurt. He spent about 30 minutes just trying to figure it out. It was fun watching him try, but he wasn't the person who ended up solving the problem. Andy's dad, Wayne, was the amazing problem solver! Way to go Wayne!

Here is the problem that we were trying to solve. See if you can find the correct answer and then comment what you found. (Hint: Draw a picture).

A motorcyclist was sent by the post office to meet a plane at the airport. The plane landed ahead of schedule, and its mail was taken toward the post office by horse. After half an hour, the horseman met the motorcyclist on the road and gave him the mail. The motorcyclist returned to the post office 20 minutes before he was expected. How many minutes early did the plane land?
-From the book "Crossing the River with Dogs" by Ken Johnson, Ted Herr, and Judy Kysh

1 comment:

Chunk said...

Correction!!! I was the one that figured that problem out! My dad was just in the room when I did it!